Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Americana

Lately I've been thinking of the past and what America used to be. I always find of interest images that capture the way things were at an identifiable time and place. Images that I find of particular interest are motel signs.

I recently read about Wigwam Motels, I guess it was before my time as I never stayed in one, but was the place to stay in it's time. Photos of these motels can be found on Flickr, here. There are a few still left in existence. I'm going to make it a point to stay in one "down the road". Hopefully we can do the route 66 thing before too many more icons dissapear.
Speaking of, on the road, whenever we are on the road, we make it a point to support family run small business. Nice people, good conversation. BTW, if you ever go to Nipigon Ontario, stay at LaNormandie, run by Guenther. You won't regret it.

In da yoop, you still find "mom and pop" motels abundant. Not the overrun druggie type havens that you read about in large metro areas, but sincere, honest to goodness hard working yoopers running these motels. Driving to the Porcupine Mountains, or Ironwood area, you pass this motel on Hwy 2 I believe. This sign is priceless in so many ways.
Bingos Motel old motel signBingos Motel old motel sign

2 comments:

we'd love to hear from you :)