Tuesday, March 10, 2009

look at all the pretty colors

Our very colorful weather map this morning
Gotta love it. Here we go again. At least the winds are in a favorable direction for us so this storm doesn't bring pounding snows. And, after this round of artic chill, looks like a warmup back into the 30's by week end. That's what's so cool this time of year. Nothing sticks around too long. I must say, it really doesn't seem like March. Anyone else feel that way? I mean, we still have a TON of snow, the cold is relentless, although we've gotten a few sunny days lately to offer a glimmer of hope that yes, there will be a Spring. As I look out my window and see it start to snow again, I don't despair as I know in a few days the sun will shine again and melt these piles down a little more. I've been thinking about taking a ride up to the south shore of the Keweenaw to see what open water on Lake Superior looks like. I've kinda forgotten with ice as far as the eye can see. Maybe this weekend, after this next round of fun passes, I'll do exactly that.
I have a feeling the ice shoves are once again going to be big this year. Here is a pic from a few years back of the huge blue Lake Superior ice on Keweenaw bay- these slabs were 2-3ft thick. Will have to keep an eye out for these monsters, hopefully we get some good breakup by the end of the month.
Lake Superior Blue ice slabs, Keweenaw bay

1 comment:

we'd love to hear from you :)