Wednesday, April 8, 2009

winter... spring..... winter....?

Was so cold yesterday with the gales that came through the past couple days, that the ice piles reformed in a huge way on some bays on Superior at least 10-20 ft tall. I ventured out to the north side of Presque Isle out of curiousity and saw this- pretty typical for an April "thaw":
Lake Superior in April, Presque IsleLake Superior in April, Presque Isle

Went around the other side of Presque Isle, and the air was so clear, I could see Granite Island Lighthouse that sits five miles out- about the clearest I've ever seen it:
Granite Island LighthouseGranite Island Lighthouse
After I got the breath pretty much taken away by the absolutely brutal winds howling out of the north,(enough to make your eyes run like a faucet), I was tired of fighting the wind and opted for a more sheltered hike from Wetmore Landing to Little Presque Isle. Ice cleats were necessary as the entire trail was pretty much frozen solid with either sheet ice and snow that had thawed to slush then refrozen. Was a beautiful two mile or so hike sheltered from the wind along the Lake Superior shore- I'll have some pics ready probably tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I had no idea you could EVER see the Granite Island Lighthouse from shore. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete

we'd love to hear from you :)