Wednesday, June 3, 2009

a day of nests

I should go out looking for morels more often. 9 times out of 10, I don't find morels, but rather stumble upon something else. Today it was nests. I was walking a two track in Hiawatha National Forest, saw a bird flutter out of a cut out dirt mound on the side of the road which drew my eye to a hole in this mound of dirt, and there I found two baby birds and a blue egg in a nest. I think they are robins. Funny how when babies are first born they have fuzz, not feathers, and their eyes are almost as big as their heads, and not open yet. They open their beaks when they hear their mother's chirps.
A little later, I was walking in a dense patch of trillium, a bird fluttered up and out,- it was a duck which had been sitting on it's nest of at least a half dozen eggs. No morels for me today, but plenty of bird nests!
baby birdsbird nest with babies

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how captivating "LIFE" and the birth or hatching may be there is just a great experience for all too see!

    ReplyDelete

we'd love to hear from you :)