Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Winter thaw


Yep, it's here. A welcome mid winter thaw. Amazing, after daily snows that build snow drifts feet high, how quickly it can all melt when the temps go a little above freezing.
Everywhere I look now I see "ugly snow" look that comes with a nice warmup such as what we're experiencing today.
But I found a winter thaw pic that is interesting- it's out at Pictured Rocks looking out over the amazing hundreds of feet tall sandstone cliffs. I imagine the water gets so green like that due to the runoff from the sandstone cliffs and the waves stirring up that sediment. On closer look at the pic, I see big boulders laying on top of the thawing ice mountains. Makes me wonder if the cliff crumbled recently, as is common during the fall freeze and winter thaw. I might add, to hear a boulder that size falling off the cliff into the lake is a humbling experience to say the least, sounds like thunder. Kayakers beware especially in the early Spring when this kind of crumbling activity of the sandstone is at it's highest.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog and love it! My husband and I frequent the UP often and it is such a breath of fresh air to read what is happening up there. Amazing photography, you truly have a gift. :)

    ReplyDelete

we'd love to hear from you :)