Friday, January 23, 2009

"Edge of Forever"

That's what I shared my coffee with this morning, and great coffee table book it is. It's Peter Scott Eide's black and white photographic compilation of 92 Lake Superior based images. I'm ashamed to admit this is the first book I've actually bought in years... no..... decades. This book was worth every penny. I highly suggest checking it out, a very masterfully produced collection of photographs.

"Edge of Forever" cover of Peter Scott Eide's recent release


So, on this day, my birthday btw, it's blowing a gale outside, and is one day away from the national consensus of the overall most depressing day of the year. So, lol, at least my birthday is not on the worst day of the year.

Outside, recently in this bitter cold weather, there are things you see only in winter. When looking over Lake Superior, the lake effect storms were moving off at sunset and the lake was quickly freezing in sub zero temps. When looking towards open water where there was a huge temp differential between air and water, I could see the sky was clear but there was what appeared to be a squall of some sort, but there were no clouds for the squall to come from. The condensation must have been coming UP from the lake creating a lake generated squall at just ground level.
I guess you could call this an "ice fog cloud".


If you've seen something like this, I'd be interested to hear about it.



Closeup view of "ice fog cloud"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

we'd love to hear from you :)