Saturday, January 17, 2009

Munising Ice Climbing

It's one of those days, where we've had a string of arctic weather, and it's putting me in the mood of getting reeaally sick and tired of winter. This tells me I'm not getting out and enjoying all the cool things that winter brings, which very much is the case. I've been spending hours daily in front of a computer monitor, feeling like I'm going crosseyed. Lots of jury deadlines coming up with art shows and the planning out of the future year. A few unique editorial projects that came up have been really demanding of time as well, relegating me relentlessly to the basement dungeon to sit in front of the computer some more and "get 'er done". So today's photos are from the archives,from a trip out the the ice curtains of Munising on Sand Point Rd. No ice climbers were out that day,and the ice looked untouched by the hacking of pics and cleats, so it allowed me to get some really nice ice detail shots.

I've been out to the ice curtains before to photograph the climbers, as well as some of the frozen waterfalls in Pictured Rocks,(click here for photos of ice climbing in the Upper Peninsula) and it really is beautiful when the ice has built up and you see a very intense aqua ice blue color. This is due to varying thicknesses in the ice not letting certain light waves thru, a pretty cool natural phenomenon. I'm really hoping this year that the Grand Island channel freezes solid enough to allow safe passage by ski or snowshoe, and the ice curtains on Grand Island hold as they are some of the most magnificent curtains in the area. From the looks of things, we aren't going to have to worry about any thawing in the near term.


No comments:

Post a Comment

we'd love to hear from you :)