Saturday, January 31, 2009

Iced in on Lake Superior

We have so much ice on the Big Lake now, I can't remember in recent memory seeing it this frozen by the end of January. If it continues to stay this cold, it might be one of those years we're still seeing icebergs on Lake Superior in May. Ugh.
Well, one thing all this ice is good for is ice fishing. There is a plethora of opportunities with safe ice everywhere. I haven't been out but I'm sure inland lakes have feet of ice by now.
They start 'em young up here- family ice fishing in the Upper Peninsula on Little Bay De Noc

Last night while we were enjoying a brew and fish fry at the Vierling, Terry came up and asked us how the ice was on the lake because he had some guys on the phone that were thinking about coming up with their, I don't know what you call em, ice boats, you know, the sailboats with ice runners on em. I know there's some ice skating smooth looking ice in both Lower and Upper Harbors, but I speculate as well there's an occasional pressure ridge built up,(perfect conditions for a face plant) not to mention these areas are the first place that might open up on a wind shift, but I think we're past that point now with thicker and thicker ice by the day. So maybe I'll wander out there this weekend and look for these ice boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

we'd love to hear from you :)