Saturday, January 10, 2009

Perigee moon


Full moon lighting up the snowscape over Lake Superior

This moonrise and moonset has the biggest moon of the year, called the perigee moon. The moon is 14% wider and 30% brighter than other moons.
I went out this morning and thought I might get lucky with catching the moon setting between clouds. It cleared out beautifully, and here's a couple pics looking west towards Marquette MI. It was below zero when these pics were taken, with temperature differential adding to the distortion around the moon's edges at 300mm focal lengths.

the full moon setting over Marquette, MI, Jan 10,2009

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing. I had no idea one could see the moon so big and bright in Michigan at all. It shows I know so little about Michigan and the Uppper Peninsula even though I lived in lower Michigan all my life!

    ReplyDelete

we'd love to hear from you :)